Block mountains

NSW Records 165 COVID-19 Cases, One Death | Blue Mountain Gazette


NSW has reported 165 new COVID-19 cases and one death as hospitals have been given the green light to resume elective surgery at full capacity.

Locally acquired cases were recorded within 24 hours to 8 p.m. on Sunday and the total was down 30 from the previous day’s tally after 50,453 tests.

The number of infected people hospitalized has fallen from eight to 216, including 32 in intensive care and 15 on ventilators.

Some 94.2 percent of NSW residents over the age of 16 are fully vaccinated and 91.1 percent have had their first vaccine.

In the 12 to 15 age group, 80.6% received their first dose while 73.5% had both.

The latest victim of the pandemic was a fully vaccinated woman in the 1980s with underlying health issues who died at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.

She was residing at the Ashfield Presbyterian Nursing Home for the Elderly in west-central Sydney, where she contracted her infection. This is the first virus death linked to an epidemic at the facility.

NSW Health announced last week that elective surgery could resume without restriction, due to the state’s high vaccination rates and stable levels of community transmission of the virus.

NSW AMA President Danielle McMullen said the backlog caused by months of hospital restrictions can now be resolved.

“Relaxing these caps means hospitals and other health services can organize their catch-up work and regular non-COVID work … and be able to participate in as many elective surgeries as possible,” she said. Monday on Sydney 2GB Radio. .

Meanwhile, the Hunter New England area continues to be the state’s largest COVID-19 hotspot with 44 new cases.

There have been 35 cases in South West Sydney, 24 in West Sydney, 17 in South East Sydney and 13 in Murrumbidgee Local Health District.

Meanwhile, Labor and unions have criticized a NSW government plan to cancel special COVID-19 protection for workers as harsh and unnecessary.

Prime Minister Dominic Perrottet intends to remove a provision from the state’s workers compensation law that assumes frontline workers who tested positive for the virus caught it while on duty.

The government estimates that continued coverage could result in an additional 25,000 claims over the next 12 months, forcing insurance premiums to rise by an average of $ 950.

Claims related to COVID-19 could cost the compensation system up to $ 638 million over the coming year.

The NSW Nurses and Midwives’ Association has said its members – who face an increased risk of exposure from patients, visitors and other colleagues in their workplaces – are outraged by the move.

Secretary-General Brett Holmes said members of the upper house of parliament received more than 24,800 emails from nurses and midwives in the public sector over the weekend, begging them to block the repeal planned by the government. Another 590 emails were sent to members of the Lower House.

“Despite their efforts to move beyond the past 22 months, essential workers infected with COVID-19 will face significant hurdles if this repeal goes through,” Holmes said in a statement Monday.

“They can file a workers compensation claim, but if they are forced to go through a contested claims process, it can take months before they get a result, or a long time without. no income if they are a casual worker. “

But business groups welcome the planned removal of the provision, which will make it more difficult for workers in retail, healthcare, hospitality and other front-line sectors to file claims. compensation if they fall ill.

Associated Australian Press